The Toyota Research Institute (TRI) is an R&D enterprise designed to bridge the gap between fundamental research and product development. It has been launched with mandates to (1) enhance the safety of automobiles, with the ultimate goal of creating a car that is incapable of causing a crash; (2) increase access to cars to those who otherwise cannot drive, including the handicapped and the elderly; (3) help translate outdoor mobility technology into products for indoor mobility; and (4) accelerate scientific discovery by applying techniques from artificial intelligence and machine learning. Toyota believes artificial intelligence has significant potential to improve the quality of life for all people, bringing ease, comfort and safety to all aspects of life.
TRI is hiring research scientists at our principal US locations. We are looking for researchers who are passionate about expanding the frontiers of machine learning in the areas of deep learning, convolutional neural networks and reinforcement learning. We are working with massive amounts of data and vast compute capability to understand the basic principles that affect safety and reliability during driving. We also seek to apply learning to complex robotic systems, and to aid the discovery of new materials. Among other topics, we are interested in the following challenges in machine learning:
- Gaining a better understanding of the internals of deep networks
- Efficient training of large-scale deep networks
- Understanding tasks most suited to deep learning vs. traditional methods
- Understanding the likely reliability of learned outputs in real-world scenarios and when to trust learning systems in safety-critical applications
- Work with talented engineers and scientists to research and develop algorithms and software for autonomous systems and learning.
- Perform basic research and development on component technologies for machine learning, perception / computer vision, controls, planning, and simulation tools.
- Assist product teams in launching innovative new products with autonomous capabilities throughout the product life cycle (design, testing, verification).
- PhD in Computer Science with strong publication profile and recent research in the machine learning areas of interest to TRI
- Open, inquisitive and humble - learning from others while contributing to the research community
- Creative thinker and innovator, with a strong desire to see research discoveries brought to life in new products and services
- Passionate about having real-world, large-scale impact
- Proven software engineering skills (preferably in C++)
- Strong research and demonstrated problem solving skills
- Palo Alto, CA
- Cambridge, MA
- Ann Arbor, MI
TRI provides Equal Employment Opportunity without regard to the applicant's race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local laws.